The Mobile Sailing School (MSS) Program was designed to provide sailing lessons in areas where sailing has not been introduced, or where equipment is not accessible. The MSS travels all throughout Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario and gives young people ages 7 and up, as well as youths and adults, an introduction to the exciting sport of sailing. It is designed to meet the needs of both beginners and those with some sailing experience to further refine their skills. All instruction is based on the CANSail standards from Sail Canada.
Young students enrolled in the Mobile Sailing School Program will be taught the Wet Feet Certification program in the Pram boat; and the older students will be taught the CANSail 1+2 certification program in the RS Zest; as a basis for evaluation at the end of the week. The Wet Feet and CANSail programs are multi-level programs and various sailing skills are required for completion of each level. At the end of the week, the students will receive a progress report and a certificate acknowledging their accomplishments of the level they have completed.
Information about our Mobile Sailing School
- The cost of the five-day mobile sailing program is $2,100.00, and the cost of a two-day weekend program is $800.00. Included are six prams for kids, two double-handed boats (Zests) for youths and adults, and a small coachboat. The program will be accompanied by two instructors. Boat and trailer transportation at the beginning and end of the program will be accommodated if possible.
- Classes should be scheduled in two sessions: mornings and afternoons. Recommended class size for the Prams is 6 participants in the mornings and 6 in the afternoons. Recommended class size for the Zests is 4 participants in the mornings and 4 in the afternoons. Please try to group students according to age or ability (or both). Instructors might be available to teach evening sessions.
- The students in the Prams will receive the “Sailing with Puffy and Friends” workbook. For the older and more experienced sailors, the “CANSail 1+2 Workbook” will be provided.
- Students should be informed to bring appropriate clothing, sun protection, water, and snacks for each day. The instructors will provide lifejackets, but students are encouraged to bring their own.
- All students must complete the medical information form and waiver, and these sheets must be passed on to the instructors before the start of the program.
- We will be bringing one small coachboat equipped with a first aid kid and other safety items. One additional safety boat in good working order, as well as gas, oil, and coast guard required safety items is to be provided by the host.
- A safe storage area for equipment and supplies as well as a sheltered area or an indoor space must be provided for the program in case of inclement weather.
- An Emergency Action Plan that includes emergency contact numbers, daily club/center contact, and maps for emergency services must be provided to the instructors.
- Meals and accommodation arrangements for the instructors should be provided, unless otherwise arranged with us.
- Instructors are not responsible for supervision of students outside of class time.
- The mobile sailing program host club contract form must be signed by both Sail Manitoba and the host club/organization, and returned to our office prior to the start of the program.
As a brand new or returning sailor to our program, it is important that the following information is available to the instructors at the time of your sailing lessons. We want you to have the best possible sailing experience.
This document details all requirements necessary to host the Mobile Sailing Program in your area and the host registration form for the Mobile Sailing Program.
Don’t hesitate! Register with us today!
To inquire about open dates and for the registration form, contact us!
2019 Mobile Sailing School Calendar*
July 2-6, 2019 – Dryden Yacht Club
July 8-12, 2019 – Black Sturgeon Sailing Club
July 12-14, 2019 – Falcon Yacht Club (Adult Lessons)
July 15-19, 2019 – Falcon Yacht Club
July 22-26, 2019 – West Hawk Lake Yacht Club
Aug 12-16, 2019 – Manipogo Provincial Park
Aug 2019 – Red Rock Lake (dates TBA)
*To take part in the lessons listed above, please contact the club directly.