INDIVIDUAL – $30
- Who own a sailboat and store their boat at a member club
- Who race in any sanctioned events
- Who serve on the board of directors of Sail Manitoba
Non Club Members
- Who race in any sanctioned events
Participant Membership – $15
- Who participate in learn to sail programs
- Who participate in learn to cruise programs
Sail Manitoba Membership Benefits
ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT BOATING
Sail Manitoba supports the development of sailing and boating as a competitive and recreational sport and is your central resource in regards to boating safety, education, recreation, navigation, training, racing and club management information.
Every year in May the 21 member clubs receive their Sail Canada membership cards based on last year’s membership numbers. Make sure your members have received their membership cards before they enter their first regatta in the year since they need it for insurance purposes and sometimes as a proof of Sail Canada membership when they register for a regatta.
Sail Manitoba receives bingo funding through Manitoba Lotteries Corporation. Of this funding Sail Manitoba allocates a certain amount to member Clubs. Member Clubs must be in good standing by June of the current year in order to be entitled to work bingos and receive funding. For more info review our Club Bingo Policy under the policy link.
The Porthole is the official magazine of Sail Manitoba and is sent out to over 2000 members, volunteers, officials, coaches, clubs, schools, camp contacts and boaters in Manitoba, Northwestern Ontario and other parts of Canada. Back issues of the Porthole can be viewed here.
Sail Manitoba distributes a monthly email newsletter to keep their membership informed about their programs and the latest sailing news. Send an email to email@example.com to get your name on the mailing list.
Our website here is updated weekly and members rely on it for complete program information and detailed regatta schedule.
PROMOTING CLUB EVENTS
Sail Manitoba will do anything to help you to promote your event at your Club. An announcement in the Porthole or in the e-newsletter, free web space on the home page or in the club section and a mass mail out via email are some of the options you can choose.
For all current and paid member clubs Sail Manitoba offers liability insurance at sanctioned events through the Sport Manitoba insurance.
INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT CLINIC
Sail Manitoba offers a full range of Sail Canada instructor development clinics for sailing, boating safety, cruising, power boating and windsurfing. We train your instructors and will help you to find the right person for your program.
Sail Manitoba offers training and certification for the Sail Canada race management certification program up to the ‘Club Race Officer’ and ‘Club Judge’ level. We train your volunteers to run well-organized events.
WINTER CRUISING PROGRAM
Sail Manitoba offers certified training programs from Sail Canada for sailors interested in learning how to sail keelboats. This includes ‘Basic Cruising Theory’, ‘Coastal Navigatio’, ‘Celestial Navigation’, ‘VHF’, ‘GPS’, and ‘Weather’ seminars.
SUMMER CRUISING PROGRAMS
Over the summer interested boaters can book the ‘Introduction to Cruising’, the ‘Basic Cruising on water part’, ‘Crew mate, you can do it!’ and the ‘Basic Cruising all in one’ course.
MOBILE SAILING SCHOOL
For over 25 years Sail Manitoba has operated the Mobile Sailing School and has introduced countless kids and youth to the sport of sailing. We service members clubs or community centres with sailing programs for kids and combined programs for kids, youths and adults using Prams, FJs and Windsurfers.
SALE OF MERCHANDISE
Sail Manitoba has a complete inventory of Sail Canada’s training books, log books, certificates and seals, plus a line of Sail Canada clothing. Members can count on prompt delivery at a member discount price.
PLEASURE CRAFT OPERATOR CARD
In 1999 Sail Manitoba implemented Canadian Coast Guard approved PCOC program designed by Sail Canada. We are helping all members to get their mandatory card.
PROMOTING BOATING SAFETY
Sail Manitoba volunteers are involved in the Canadian Safe Boating Council. As members we address our members’ needs and help our member clubs and sailing schools promote safe boating.
WORKING WITH TRANSPORT CANADA AND CANADIAN COAST GUARD
Sail Manitoba represents members’ needs and rights regarding proposed changes to the aids to navigation and regulations. Sail Manitoba volunteers serve on the Transport Canada’s Central & Arctic Recreational Boating Advisory Committee.
STEVENSON MEMORIAL BOAT LOAN FUND
The purpose of this Sail Canada fund is to assist member clubs in the purchase of sailboats to be used for Junior Training. Sail Canada will lend member clubs and amount equal to two thirds of the total cost of the purchase price of a minimum of two boats or a maximum of five boats. The maximum loan per boat shall not exceed $5000.The loan shall be for a two year period -without interests- but with a 4% service charge.
OUTBOARD MOTOR AND INFLATABLE BOAT DISCOUNT PROGRAM
Sail Canada has a rebate program with Mercury Marine equivalent to purchasing motors and inflatable dinghies at wholesale cost for club/school/camp Learn to Sail programs.
MANITOBA SAILING TEAM
Sail Manitoba provides coaching, event and travel coordination, and a well-organized program for people of all ages to help them to experience the sport of sailboat racing. Our role is to help youth advance beyond the club level to National and International status and help them achieve their goals. The Sail Canada Financial Assistance Program helps high performance sailors with a tax-receipting program for income tax deductions through donations.
SAIL CANADA MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
Yacht and Sailing Clubs
Yacht Clubs, Sailing Clubs and Windsurfing Clubs are the foundation of the Sail Canada membership program. Sail Canada is the national voice for Canadian sailors from recreational boating, to competitive and international racing. There are over 300 clubs currently members of Sail Canada.
Clubs become members of Sail Canada by applying to their respective Provincial Sailing Association. The annual club membership fee is based on the number of members in each club and is calculated on “adult”, “family” or equivalent membership categories. The membership fee is paid to SailÂ Manitoba, a portion of that is forwarded to Sail Canada. For further information, or to become a member club please contact Sail Manitoba.
All persons recognized as members in good standing of Sail Canada/ Sail Manitoba member club are considered to be members of Sail Canada. A club listing of all members should be provided to Sail Canada/Sail Manitoba so that services may be provided to all members.
Services and Benefits to Clubs
All clubs that are current members of Sail Manitoba and Sail Canada benefit from the following services:
- Sail Canada Membership cards for individual members of clubs, and certificate of membership for organizations are provided:
- Voting rights at Sail Canada’s Annual General Meeting
- Sail Canada represents the interests of clubs to: ISAF, political forums, Coast Guard, government agencies, marine organizations, etc.
- Assistance with racing development clinics, regatta management (consultation)
- Access to Sail Canada’s national instructor training programs, instructor placement service and job advertising
- Members of the club gain “right to race” in events, using the Racing Rules of Sailing
- Access to appeals and protest process
- May receive and contribute to Sail Canada’s email newsletter, the Canadian Sailing Review
- Sail Manitoba newsletter, directory and mailings
- Reciprocal privileges with other clubs (encourage and facilitate) Contact the Sail Manitoba for details.
- Special Insurance rates on Directors Liability, sailing school, and regatta liability insurance
- Outboard Motor & Inflatable Discount Program – Mercury Marine – contact Sail Canada for details
- R.C. Stevenson Boat Loan Fund. This fund was established to assist Sail Canada member clubs in the purchase of sailboats to be used for junior training.
- Access to Sail Canada Financial Assistance program , such as donation receipt programs, or funding assistance for high performance athletes, and programs
- Sail Canada’s annual directory
- Opportunity to host provincial, national and world championships
- Access to resources such as Sail Canada’s “How to” publications, Sail Directors Handbook, Race Management, Protest Committee Handbooks, Media Guide, etc.
- Link to and listing of your club on Sail Canada’s website
- Able to participate in Sail Canada’s national awards program
- Invited to use BMO Affinity MasterCard. With each use you help to suppose the Canadian Sailing Team.
Membership Benefits to Individuals of Clubs
Members of Sail Canada affiliated clubs are entitled to these services and benefits:
- Sail Canada membership card obtained through the club office.
- Reciprocal privileges with other clubs. Contact your club or Sail Manitoba for details.
- “Right to race” in events (provided other eligibility criteria are met)
- Able to participate in Sail Canada and Sail Manitoba championships
- Maintenance of racing rule structure
- Right to appeal decisions of protests to Sail Canada or Sail Manitoba
- Handicapping information
- Ability to participate in race officer training program
- Ability to participate in judge and umpire training programs
- Offshore sail numbers registry
- Participation in Sail Canada’s Awards program
- Access to Provincial and Canadian Sailing Team programs as per established criteria
- Invited to use BMO Affinity MasterCard. With each use you help to support the Canadian Sailing Team.
- Access to the Sail Canada’s Financial Assistance program , such as donation receipt programs, or funding assistance for high performance athletes, and programs